Taco Tour Guide

Wanna follow IBK and I on our Taco Tour? Check the schedule and find out where we're going next!

Blog Archive

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Time to Pretend: Day 158: 400 Days of Exile

It is official: I am going to Dublin and Budapest Summer 2017.

This trip will be paid by myself. Taken by myself.

Which is terrifying. At least the going part. But that's pretty much why I have to do it.
Dublin

I've traveled with family. I've traveled with friends. I plan on traveling with Turtle Man next summer to somewhere tropical. And if we ever take the plunge and tie the know, we're going to Japan and that's the end of that.

But, I have this need to travel by myself. I just truly believe it is the only way I can actually appreciate the experience. I tend to either goof off with other people or get annoyed with them: both of which hamper the experience that I want to have.

In fact, my favorite international experiences, by far, were those moments where I, more or less, let myself wander off for a bit.

One moment that stands out to me was the when I visited Museo del Prado on a foreign exchange trip to Spain - a trip I thoroughly under appreciated, being barely 17. But the museum trip came during the last days of our stay in Madrid and armed with nothing but my iPod and a pad of paper, I walked among the art and really looked. Somehow, appropriating The Airborne Toxic Event to works by Monet, Matisse, and Rembrand made me appreciate these works or art more and made me appreciate the music more as well. It was a weird surreal juxtaposition that really flowed with me. I still can't listen to Sometime Around Midnight without remembering those couple hours.

The other was just over a year ago in Rome. I was listening to Rick Steves Guided Tours of the Vatican and making my way through that cathedral - which is honestly breathtaking and, by far, my favorite thing that I saw in Rome. I had spent days with my family hanging out 24/7, something we hadn't done in years. And getting away from them and focusing only on the tour and the art and the church really made me appreciate it more.
Budapest. I guess Europe digs bridges...

I don't know - I just feel that I need to do this. My mom has already tried to invite herself along, but I need to do this for me. I'll go again with her if she wants. But, this is something I need to do on my own.

Wish me luck,

Little Tornado

No comments:

Post a Comment